Monday, February 25, 2013

Hold me fast, cause I'm a hopeless wanderer

Dobry Den! (hello)

So I am the biggest procrastinator, and I've been meaning to write a new blog post for forever. So here it is! Also, my title of the blog is a Mumford and Sons lyric, I am bad at coming up with titles for things. I am also going to see them at Bonnaroo this summer with my friend Caroline from Wisconsin! And possibly in April here in Prague....if I can find tickets that aren't $300.

So I've done a tonnn of stuff in the past weeks. Two weekends ago my roommate Allison and I wondered around Prague all day. We went to the Kafka Museum and the Modern Art Museum. Then we wondered around this little island in Prague and stubled upon the Czech version of Mardi Gras. When you don't know something like that is going on and then tons of people dressed up acting crazy it can be quite perplexing at first. We also went to a farmers market in the morning. One farmers market had a giant pig sliced down the middle with all of its guts showing.... I know you appreciate the picture.
Mmmm...dinner!

Allison and the view from the Modern Art Museum
The next day we went on trip with our program to this place called Kunta Hora. It's a UNESCO World Heritage site and its this quaint little town and we visited a church, a bone church and some other things there. The bones are from people that died in the black plague. It's kinda cool, but mostly just creeped me out. Especially thinking of the guy who came up with the idea to turn thousands of people bones into art.
At Kunta Hora

Bone Church

We went to see the opera Madame Butterfly and it was very opera-like with the elongated intense singing, but it was cool to go to. That night we went to two really cool places. The first place was a bar/restaurant that served your beer to you on a train. The second was a club called James Dean that played some good oldies. They also played Jump Around and I was with four other Wisconsin people at the time so that was pretty awesome. At one point at the club the bartenders took out electric saws, poured kerosene on them and lit them on fire. It was cool but considering there was alcohol everywhere it was probably the biggest fire hazard I've ever witnessed.
My rommate Niki and Allison and I at the Opera

Electric saw & Giant flames....
Allison getting our beers at the Train Bar

On Monday night my roommates and my friend Erin from Wisconsin went to this local Czech pop/rock concert. They were kind of like Paramore and it was quite the experience, especially because we had no idea what she was saying. But Niki and I got a picture with the lead singer!! I think we may have freaked her out a bit :/
Biggest Czech Pop Star with Niki and I!!
I took a tour of Prague Castle with people in my program and the view was absolutely gorgeous. But considering its perpetually foggy here I wanna go back on a nice warm day.
My frined Julia and I at Prague Castle

Chruch inside Prague Castle grounds


So for two weeks I had intensive Czech class. Czech for five hours a day. Czech is extremely hard and there's just so many constants next to eachother. The word for four is ctvrtek. Like whatttt is that?! But I started my actual classes last week and so far they've been pretty interesting.

I went to Munich this past weekend and it was quite the adventure, but I'll try and blog about that sometime later this week!

Na Shledanou (bye)

No comments:

Post a Comment